Google

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Physician, Heal Thy Self


Health Tip of the Week: I recently read an article in the New York Times titled, "The Six Habits of Highly Respectful Physicians." The article basically talks about how medical schools are missing the boat when it comes to teaching doctors a simple virtue, good manners. It was reported, that as would-be doctors went through medical school, they became more and more arrogant, developing a bit of an ego problem. It is suggested that it would behoove the doctors to learn manners and be respectful of their patients. I also feel this goes for the doctors support staff. How many doctors really know what goes on in their front reception area? I hear countless stories of rude receptionists, billing departments and appointment takers. The Golden Rule doesn't exclude doctors and their office staff. Do onto others as you would have done onto you. Having been in private practice for 20 years, I would like to think that I am polite, caring and pleasant with my patients. The credo that keeps me this way (other than it comes natural, with my sparkling personality) is that I firmly believe that I am an employee of my patients. Yes, I have to make the health care decisions that are best for them, but the bottom line is that I work for my patients. If I want to keep my job, I have to be respectful and courteous. The same goes for my office staff. The office staff is a reflection of the doctors office. (Elysa actually outshines me in this area). My health tip for you this week is this, if your doctors are grouches, let them know. If they don't care about changing, fire them. If their staff are mean and rude, let the doctors know this too. I have a hunch, they don't have a clue, or why would those mean staff still be working there.
Thought for the Week: "Manners are a sensitive awareness of the feelings of others. If you have that awareness, you have good manners, no matter which fork you use." ~Emily Post
Chiropractic Thought for the Week: Disease is not killing our population, lifestyle choices are. Spending money to treat disease will never get rid of disease. Spending money to prevent disease is what it will take to eradicate disease. Teaching healthy lifestyle choices, from proper nutrition, exercise, stress management to preventative wellness chiropractic, massage, acupuncture and medical visits is the only sound way to build health and prevent disease in today's society.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home